Warwickshire-based Alvis Car Co is extending its Continuation series of road-legal pre- and post-war models, made to order and using key components that have been stored for over 50 years.
The series now includes two chassis and six body options, with post-war derivatives assembled using original chassis and engine blocks that were left unused when production stopped in 1968 (and have been stored in their original crates ever since).
Powered by either a 3-litre or 4.3-litre Alvis-designed six-cylinder engine, each vehicle has been developed from the original works designs and meets emissions legislation in a number of markets — including Japan — thanks to fuel
injection and modern engine management electronics.
Each derivative takes up to 5,000hr to build and features period bodywork styles created by prestigious coach-builders of the time.
The series comprises the 3-litre Park Ward Drop Head, 3-litre Graber Super Coupe, 3-litre Graber Super Cabriolet, 4.3-litre Vanden Plas Tourer, 4.3-litre Bertelli Coupe and 4.3-litre Lancefield Concealed Hood.
The chassis numbers of the cars with 4.3-litre engines follow on from the numbers allocated to the pre-war production run.
Alvis Car Co owner Alan Stote said (www.thealviscarcompany.co.uk
): “Our models are — literally — what Alvis would have created, had it not halted production for over 50 years. The factory had planned to build 150 4.3-litre chassis cars in 1938, but the site suffered serious damage by bombing in 1940, and only 73 chassis were completed. We will continue that series, with new chassis built to the original drawings.
“Blending history with modern technology is a delicate task. We are mindful of our original core values, which ensured that Alvis cars never suffered the fate of so many other British brands by falling foul of quality standards and gaining a bad reputation as a result.”